It is fascinating to me how everything and everyone involved in the nativity story are symbolic of the Savior's life, ministry, and mission.
"And Joseph also went up from Galilee,...unto the city of David which is called Bethlehem..."

The word "Bethlehem" in Hebrew means, "House of Bread"
John 6:35
"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life:…"
"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night."
Silent Night" by Joseph Brickey
Out of all the people througout the entire region who could have been chosen; governers, rulers, or even religious leaders none were chosen save the humble shepherds in their fields to be witnesses of the Savior's birth.
John 10:11,14
“I am the good shepherd the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.”
“I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.”
The shepherds were also "watching their flocks by night" in particular the young lambs.
John 1:36
“And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!”
"And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them..."
"Sleeper Lost in Dreams" by James Christensen
The Latin origin of the word "angel" means messenger and from the Hebrew origins it means to send a message
Christ was sent to us here on this earth to give us the "good news" or the gospel.
Malachi 3:1
"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts."
D&C 93:8
"Therefore, in the beginning the Word was, for he was the Word, even the messenger of salvation—"
"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger..."

A manger is used to feed animals. It can hold either water or food. It only holds the food or water the animals themselves have to come and partake.
2 Nephi 31:20
"...Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
John 6:35
"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."
John 4:14
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
"...When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy."
"And behold, there shall a new star arise, such an one as ye never have beheld; and this also shall be a sign unto you."
In the Holy Land the wise men followed the star to Jesus. In the Americas the star was a sign to the Nehites of Christ's birth.
John 8:12
"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."
Revelations 22:16
"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea...behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, ...And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh." 

The wise men are also referred to as kings and as far as the scriptures tell us they were also some of the very few that were witnesses to the birth of Jesus. They followed the light and found their Savior...we too will find our Savior if we just follow the Light of the World.
Revelations 17:14
"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful."
John 8:12
"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."



1 comment:
Thanks for the awesome insights. Some I knew and some I didn't.
Post a Comment